Saturday, January 14, 2012

Save on Gluten Free Products with these Strategies


Sent to you via Google Reader

Save on Gluten Free Products with these Strategies


Bread and pasta have always been my food weaknesses and indulgences. So imagine my dismay when a few months ago I discovered that I have an intolerance to gluten. I wanted to cry at the thought of never tasting warm, buttery bread or pasta with ooey, gooey cheese ever again.

I soon got over my pity party when I realized that there are acceptable and even delicious substitutes for regular breads and pastas. However, that feeling of deprivation and despair returned when I found out that the cost of gluten-free breads, pastas and most other gluten-free foods was practically double that of their evil wheat-laden enemies.

This revelation completely frustrated me and deflated the couponing high that I've been on for several months. I've saved tons of money on groceries this past year (with guidance from the Krazy Coupon Lady), so you can imagine my disappointment at the lack of coupons and savings for gluten-free items. Not all hope is lost for us penny-wise wheat-avoiders.

Here are some tips to help preserve your frugality and keep your digestive tract happy at the same time!

Buy in bulk.

Many gluten-free items are available for bulk purchase on merchant sites such as Amazon.com. I find this especially handy for gluten-free flours and baking mixes. One of my favorite brands of baking mix, Pamela's Products, runs around $4 per pound at my local Kroger and is only available in a four pound bag. I can currently purchase twelve pounds on Amazon for $41.25 or twenty-five pounds for $82.50. With Amazon's free shipping on orders of $25 and more, the bulk option is perfect for items you use frequently. Plus, it also saves on gas money. To quote that great philosopher Charlie Sheen: "Winning!"

Prepare meals with gluten-fre...



Sent from Monica L. Hawkins iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment